Don’t Miss a Great Opportunity
As a parent, a current teacher, and a former cross country and track and field coach, I know the cost of sports all too well. That’s why I’ve developed a solution to the cost of competing in cross country.
I’ve developed the Greater Louisville Cross Country Series to give elementary and middle schools, whose budgets are limited or non-existent, the opportunity to compete free of charge. Invitational races can cost as much as $50 per team. As a coach, entering boys and girls’ varsity and junior varsity teams would cost my program up to $200, or more, just to compete. Smaller all-comer meets can still cost up to $100. By season’s end, our program would spend $1,000-$1,500 just to compete.
I believe that money should be spent on your programs. While I encourage your cross country programs to compete in weekend invitational races, I also encourage your program to take advantage of our series. This series is great for large teams who can’t run all of their athletes in invitational races, for smaller teams looking for alternatives to invitationals, and for programs looking to hold on to their hard-earned money, while in the process, earning a little extra.
In addition to the series being free, as the series grows, GLCC hopes to share revenue with participating schools. If the 2017 season is successful, starting in 2018, GLCC will share a large percentage of the revenue earned with coaches and schools.
The series will take place on Mondays and Wednesdays at Charlie Vettiner Park in Louisville. It will begin Aug. 21 and end Oct. 11.
We will split teams between the two dates each week.
Below are some bullet points on how all of this works and things to consider:
- Racing is free. You pay a $225 deposit to reserve your spot in the series. That deposit is returned at the end of the season.
- As the series grows, GLCC hopes to share revenue with participating schools. If the 2017 season is successful, starting in 2018, GLCC will share a large percentage of the revenue earned with coaches and schools.
- Races divisions will include middle school, 5th&U, 3rd&U, and K-1.
- Races will start at 1.5K for three dates, move up to 2K for three dates, and conclude with 3K for the final two dates and championship event.
- Races are Mondays and Wednesdays of each week, starting Aug. 21 and ending Oct. 11.
- All races are at Charlie Vettiner Park and a $5 admission fee will be charged. Most items at the concession will cost $2 and T-Shirts will be sold for $15.
- To reserve a spot, e-mail email@example.com with intent to run and an estimated number of runners. You will be sent a password to register your team once the deposit has been received.
- All runners recieve medals and the Top 10 in the championship event recieve trophies.
- Checks should be made payable to Greater Louisville Cross Country, or GLCC and mailed to:
- 4303 Lincoln Rd
- Louisville, KY 40220
- Direct all communications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Registration will on www.kytrackxc.com at glccseries.milesplit.com starting in June.