As a parent, a current teacher, and a former cross country and track and field coach, I know the cost of sports all too well. That’s why I’ve developed a solution to the cost of competing in cross country.
I’ve developed the Greater Louisville Cross Country Series to give elementary schools, whose budgets are limited or non-existent, the opportunity to compete free of charge. Invitational races can cost as much as $50 per team. As a coach, entering boys and girls’ varsity and junior varsity teams would cost my program up to $200, or more, just to compete. Smaller all-comer meets can still cost up to $100. By season’s end, our program would spend $1,000-$1,500 just to compete.
I believe that money should be spent on your programs. While I encourage your cross country programs to compete in weekend invitational races, I also encourage your program to take advantage of our series. This series is great for large teams who can’t run all of their athletes in invitational races, for smaller teams looking for alternatives to invitationals, and for programs looking to hold on to their hard-earned money, while in the process, earning a little extra.
In addition to the series being free, 50 percent of the series’ proceeds will be distributed among the competing teams. It may end up being just a little money, or perhaps a lot of money, but the thought of racing in a meet and earning money to do so must sound appealing.
The series will take place on Wednesdays at Charlie Vettiner Park in Louisville. It will begin Aug. 23 and end Oct. 11. A championship event will be held Saturday, Oct. 14 at Charlie Vettiner Park.
As of now, the series is for elementary schools only, but if demand warrants it, we will consider adding middle school races. We also have one other day each week reserved at Charlie Vettiner Park, so if more schools want to compete than we can accommodate, we will split teams between two dates each week.
Below are some bullet points on how all of this works and things to consider:
- Racing is free. You pay a $270 deposit to reserve your spot in the series. That deposit is returned at the end of the season if your team shows up and competes.
- On top of a deposit being returned, your team will receive an equal share of 50 percent of the proceeds from admission, concession sales, T-shirt sales, and sponsorship.
- Races divisions will include 5th&U, 3rd&U, and K-1.
- Races will start at 1.5K for three dates, move up to 2K for three dates, and conclude with 3K for the final two dates and championship event.
- Dates of races are: Aug. 23, Aug. 30, Sept. 6, Sept. 13, Sept. 20, Sept. 27, Oct. 4, and Oct. 11. The Championship Event is Saturday, Oct. 14.
- All races are at Charlie Vettiner Park and a $5 parking fee will be charged. Most items at the concession will coast $2 and T-Shirts will be sold for $15.
- To reserve a spot, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with intent to run and an estimated number of runners. You will be sent a password to register your team once the deposit has been received.
- All runners recieve medals and the Top 10 in the championship event recieve trophies.
- Checks should be made payable to Greater Louisville Cross Country, or GLCC and mailed to:
- 4303 Lincoln Rd
- Louisville, KY 40220
- Noe Middle School will serve as the Host Team for these events, but should not be contacted about the series. Direct all communications to email@example.com.
- Registration will on www.kytrackxc.com starting in June.